Thursday, May 29, 2008

May 28, 2008

I have been around and checked a few places out but have not spent much time anywhere. Last week I spent about an hour at 24 Mile reservoir and had no trouble finding fish. I was having trouble hooking up however. I was getting consistent strikes fishing a little caddis emerger. I was fishing without an indicator and strikes were really hard to detect. There was a lot of "swirling" going on from 7:00 on. I also drove up to Toponce Creek the other day and the gate was still closed. I talked to one guy who said that they were supposed to open the gate yesterday but I have not been back to check it out because the water was raging. Pebble Creek road was open but the creek was blown out by runoff. I did fish the Portneuf below the Pebble Creek bridge yesterday about 11:00. There were a few mayflies coming off but not enough to get the fish looking up. I picked up a few chunky rainbows but only had about half an hour so I didn't get a real good idea of what's going on.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Hey,
Thanks for checking out the blog. I do my best to get around. I too am a teacher and I have a year license for Utah, write me back and tell me about the Logan Blacksmith fork and the Little Bear. I am in Oregon right now on vacation and just got done fishing the salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes. It was pretty great. Anyway, the Portneuf flow has been really low and really clear as they have been filling up Chesterfield reservior. Very fishable right now, right now it should fish great with the low flows. The Portneuf is not stocked below the Pebble Creek bridge but the big cutts and rainbows live upstream from there. The Blackfoot doesn't open until the 1st but there have been reports of real good numbers of spawners coming out of the reservior with such a good water year it should be pretty dynamite on the opener. The Bear I kind of leave alone for the summer in Black Canyon, it fishes much better in the winter. The Toponce gate should be open and might be worth a look but it will probably stay high for a few weeks. There is a nice stonefly hatch on the creek around the 20th usually. Any other questions, I'm here.