Friday, March 7, 2008

Bear River -- March 1, 2008

I couldn't believe my eyes when I woke up and it was 42 degrees at 7:00 AM. After the long winter we had around here it was a beautiful morning. I decided to take a trip to Black Canyon and it was even warmer there. Nymphing the big holes in the canyon was not the name of the game today. Picked up a few fish on the big green ugly early. Then about 9:00 midges started to come off and the fish were up. Found half a dozen fish or so on a #20 Griffith's gnat and another few on a #22 Parachute Adams. The real winner of the day was swimming big wooly buggers in black, brown and olive through the big holes. Also dead drifting and stripping them strait back upstream picked up good numbers of fish. I talked to one kid from Logan that had come up for the day and was doing great on a size 8 brown bugger with a little split shot for extra weight. No need for a sinking line here. All said, I landed about 20 fish in 2 hours with most of the fish in the 14 - 18 inch range.

Happy Trails,
Kevin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your fishing sounds intense man! But you need to relax, you have all flippin year to fish! I've only fished a couple times this year and didn't get a ton, but it's all right because I know that I have all year to fish man.
CHILL OUT!!!!

Happy fishing Dude!

anonymous said...

yo coach this is a concerned student and you really need to bring proof to school that you catch these fish. and i need to no your casting secrets because i use those flies and they don't work to well

Tanya Dow said...

I think I need to get one of those #20 griffiths so I can snag me a few fish.