Sunday, April 10, 2011

Black Canyon 4/9/11

Be very careful when fishing Black Canyon. Not only was the fishing poor and the water off color but around 1:00 I got a text message from another guy that was fishing down there. They had released an extreme amount of water through the dam at about noon. He was out in the river standing on a rock and very quickly the rock was under water. They do weird things with that river and while they do it fishes very poorly and can become very dangerous. Check the Pacificorp website before you leave to check stream flows. If the flow is more than 100 CFS, don't bother. I don't know where I will be fishing in the coming weeks, but there are a few local creeks that are spring fed that should be pretty good. Utah folks will wait for Chesterfield to open up and I will wait for 24 Mile reservoir. Hopefully the Portneuf will blow out soon leaving the river much cleaner and the fishermen much happier.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

That is a good timely reminder. The whitewater levels should be starting soon. I would hate to get caught by one of them.
I'm going to have to do some searching for a spring creek myself! Off hand I can't think of much in that line around here except Black Canyon or the Oneida Narrows.

Kevin said...

Yeah, things get real tough this time of year. I might even have to fish still water, yuck!

Unknown said...

Come out west and fish some sound waters.