Saturday, July 25, 2009

Portneuf River Report

I fished the upper Portneuf this morning and let's just say it was really crappy. Water clarity is poor and the flows are still high. I have always held that the Portneuf is a morning fishery so stumbled out of bed this morning in great anticipation. At first glance the river looked good so I walked over the hill to one of my favorite stretches. The one angry bull that bellowed at me from the other side of the fence was the most excitement I had all morning. Not a fish in site, not a rise, not a wake nothing. There were good numbers of caddis hatching so that may prove promising for the future. On another note the stretch of the river that I was fishing usually has a nice gravelly bottom, this for the most part there is mud up to your knees, the river didn't blow out this year like it usually does in the spring so I think all the sediments just piled up. I really do think that the river will start fishing well when the farmers turn off their water, but it may be until the middle of August til it is ready. I'll keep posting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We swung by week before last on our way to the Greys. Same thing--zippo. Off-color. High. Muddy. We only stuck around long enough to wander about 1/3 mile and everything looked the same. Bummer!

Kevin said...

Thanks for checking in. I really thought that it would be better by now.