Saturday, August 9, 2008

August 7, 2008

Met with the cutthroat stalker this morning for a full day of fishing. I am going to keep my post fairly brief as I am bogged down with homework (yuck) but will give you a link to his site that will provide you with a great story I am sure about our trip. We fished the Portneuf in the morning and saw great numbers of mayflies in the area downstream from the parking lot on Croney Road. We were mostly casting to rising fish in the morning which made this trip really fun. Except for the one that got away. It is very rare that you get a shot at a fish more than once that is 20" or longer. I missed the first time and then donated my P. Adams to his nose on my second chance. I dreamt about it last night. We then moved downstream to fish the area downstream from the horseshoe bend. I had good success in some faster water but by 11:00 all the fish had gone down. I found about 5 nice fish on a P.T. nymph in some of the faster water. Most of the fish that we did catch on the Portneuf today were over 15" with a few pushing 20 and one that I landed in the evening that was well over 20". Check out cutthoat stalkers blog for pics and video. We fished in the middle of the day on the South fork of Toponce and had limited success, it was not what I had expected at all but the south fork did fish better than the main fork where we only landed a few fish. I have a post coming soon on my adventures in Bonners Ferry.

No comments: