Monday, July 21, 2008

July 21, 2008


I haven't fished much this summer at all and I am about to go crazy. On the 5th of July I took my brother Todd and Les to Toponce creek and we just had a ball. We hiked up the south fork above the beaver ponds where we got into loads of cutthroat. We then fished the main stem for a few hours the fishing was pretty spectacular. Les didn't even hook himself in the nose this year, but that was the joke of the day. On the 4th Todd and I fished Blacksmith fork and I have to say that was one of the worst experiences of my life. Besides only catching 4 fish I think that every person in Utah owns 4 ATV's and they were all in Blacksmith fork canyon. Note to self avoid anywhere that people know about on holidays. Other than that, I was at scout camp this past week near Palisades dam and took off for a few hours to fish Bear Creek on the west side of Palisades reservior. I caught a mess of fish, most in the 6-10 inch range but there are some hogs in there. I had one surprise me in a muddy looking slow channel that was about 18 in. One of the most beautiful cutts I have ever seen. I hope this week to be back on the river and after more fish. It's dry fly season and everything is looking up. Head to the small creeks for a great time and you might even get surprised in the process.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey good to be back and here from you again. Bear Creek was great. If you get a chance check out Jacknife, Tincup, or Stump creek that are on the Idaho side but drain into the Salt River. I have never spent much time on the Blackfoot fishing the ranch because there are usually more people there. I usually fish it in the are we call the narrows right before the forest service campground. I have caught some real nice fish right above the diversion dam as you enter the national forest on Blackfoot river road. Another really fun creek to fish is Diamond Creek it is a trib to the upper blackfoot and holds some really spunky cutts and the water is crystal clear, I mean beautiful. Use your standard dries. When I was on Bear Creek last week I saw a fish that was huge (18+) chasing a smaller fish that was after my fly. I put on a wooly bugger and got into a few bigger fish. You guys are lucky, most of the time I fish by myself or with my kids. You guys should have a great time I will be at a family reunion in Island Park. Hope to get some fishing done tomorrow I have been thinking about the Blackfoot since the flows have come down. Early morning on the Blackfoot are some spinner falls that you wouldn't believe. I tie a little spentwing PMD, its just a dubbed body with antron wings and some mallard flank feathers for a tail, its pretty killer early. Don't look for the hoppers up here yet though that won't happen until the end of August. If you ever want to call and talk (208)648-0904. Hope you have a great time.

Kevin said...

Look at your map and where you see Slug creek road go to the right and Blackfoot river road to the left there is a parking area on the left (heading north) about 1mi. I usualy fish in this area. Lanes Creek, Diamond Creek and Slug Creek all have cutts. Slug creek has a higher population of brookies, Lanes creek can be pretty tough and Diamond Creek is my favorite. The stocking ranch area is very popular and is almost to the Lanes creek cutoff and Diamond Creek roads. It is very well marked and there are large parking areas. Most people that I have seen fish this don't venture far from the road. I did hear of a guy last year who pulled a fish about 6 1/2 lbs in that area. There is a chance that there are still some spawners around especially with the late spring.
You mentioned that you might also spend some time on McCoy Creek this is probably my favorite creek of all. I usually fish in the Iowa creek area but there is tons of access and it is all very remote and great water.